There are several pieces of legislation relating to general health and safety that you should be aware of. These are listed below:
- Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974-Gives every person on the work premises legal duties and responsibilities to work in a safe way.
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013-Covers how to report serious accidents and incidents to health and safety authorities.
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999-sets out how health and safety is managed within a care workplace, including risk assessment and training.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005-sets out how every workplace must prevent and protect against fire.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002-designed to protect people from hazardous substances; substances that can cause harm or ill health.
- The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992-covers how to transport or support any load safely and prevent injury.
- The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 2002-sets out how any type of equipment is to be used safely and maintained.
- The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER)-sets out specific requirements relating to work equipment which is used for lifting and lowering people or loads.
Take the time to familiarise yourself with this legislation, as it will affect how you and your organisation maintain health and safety in your workplace.