Fires are a common hazard in any workplace and can lead to injury or death. There are a number of things you can do to prevent fires from starting or spreading. These include:
- Not smoking or leaving naked flames within buildings.
- Not leaving fire doors propped open as it can increase the speed at which a fire spreads in a building.
- Not allowing waste to accumulate which could provide fuel to a fire.
- Checking escape routes are not blocked and keeping them clear.
- Checking that appliances and plugs are turned off to prevent electrical fires from starting.
Some of these measures may not apply in an individual’s own home, but they are important nonetheless. You should encourage an individual to make their homes safer from fire through these measures, but you must respect their choices.