3.2c Explain where to get additional support and advice about how to resolve such dilemmas

Despite your best efforts, fulfilling your duty of care while respecting an individual’s rights can be difficult, and you may need additional support to resolve a situation. Fortunately, there are a number of places where this support can be found.

When in doubt you should ask your manager for advice. They may have a better idea of how to resolve a situation or reduce the risks involved in a decision. They should always be the first person you speak to about dilemmas such as those that have been discussed.

If still in doubt, there are other sources of support you can go to. You can talk to an individual’s friends or family, a befriender, or if you need a more professional opinion, their GP or another care worker.

You could also talk to an advocate. An advocate is a trusted person who an speak and act for the individual in question. They ensure that an individual’s point of view is heard and that decisions are made in the interest of the individual. Thus, they can be trusted to give you reliable advice on how to resolve dilemmas.

In conclusion, In situations where you are not entirely sure about what to do, it is vital that you seek out help and advice, whether it be from the individual’s GP, their family, or an advocate.

Don`t copy text!