Unit name: Communication in Care Settings
Learning outcome: 4. Be able to apply principles and practices relating to confidentiality at work
Assessment criteria: 4.2 Demonstrate confidentiality in day to day communication, in line with agreed ways of working
For this assessment criteria, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you understand and practice confidentiality in your day-to-day role in line with your organisation’s agreed ways of working.
You may demonstrate this by:
- recording information in a secure way
- ensuring that you are not overheard when talking about sensitive issues (or going somewhere private)
- ensure paperwork is not left in public areas
- only share personal information on a ‘need to know’ basis
- ensure the identity of others before sharing private information
- asking an individual for consent before sharing their personal information with others
The important things to remember is that personal information should NEVER be discussed with anyone that is not authorised, data must be kept secure and consent must be obtained before sharing.