Unit name: Implement person-centred approaches in care settings
Learning outcome: 6. Be able to promote individuals’ well-being
Assessment criteria: 6.3 Support an individual in a way that promotes their sense of identity, self-image and self-esteem
You should be able to demonstrate to your assessor that you are able to support individuals in a way that promotes their identity, self-image and self-esteem.
Ways that you may do this include:
- Empowering individuals to make their own life choices
- Being compassionate, empathetic and non-judgmental
- Having a genuine interest in an individual’s life
- Respecting individual’s unique views and opinions
- Maintaining a positive attitude
- Building and maintaining strong and positive working relationships
By working in this way, the individuals that you support will feel valued and respected, which can lead to improved self-esteem and well-being. It will also empower them to speak up if they are unhappy with any aspects of their care provision and support them to express their individuality.