Qualification: NCFE CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Educator
Unit: Unit 1.1: Support healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition
Learning outcome: Be able to support healthy eating in own setting.
Assessment criteria: Implement an activity to support healthy eating in own setting.
For this assessment criterion, you will be required to implement the activity to support healthy eating that you planned in the previous section.
This must be done in your own setting and you will need to gain the relevant permissions from your manager before undertaking this.
When implementing the activity, you should:
- Make sure that all food and drink offered is healthy and meets the nutritional needs of children and that the dietary requirements of each child are taken into account
- Promote healthy eating through positive role modelling
- Encourage children and young people to try new foods
- Provide information to children and young people about the benefits of healthy eating
- Involve children and young people in planning and preparing meals where possible
Further guidance for implementing an activity can be found in the unit relating to children’s exercise.