Qualification: NCFE CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Educator
Unit: Unit 1.1: Support healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition
Learning outcome: Be able to support healthy eating in own setting.
Assessment criteria: Make recommendations for healthy eating in own setting
Healthy eating is vital for young children, as it helps them to develop and grow properly. As a childcare provider, you can play an important role in promoting healthy eating habits in your early years setting.
For this assessment criterion, you will be required to evaluate the promotion of healthy eating in your own setting and provide recommendations about how provision might be improved. You can use information from feedback, reflection and your own observations, as well as current legislation, best practices and research.
When making your recommendations, you should consider the following:
- The types of food and drink available in your setting and how they are promoted to children
- The mealtimes and snack times offered in your setting, including any special dietary requirements that are accommodated
- How meals and snacks are prepared and served in your setting
- The role of parents and carers in promoting healthy eating habits
- The training and development needs of staff with regard to healthy eating
- Current policies and procedures relating to healthy eating
- EYFS guidelines
Your manager will be interested in your recommendations and how they can be implemented in your setting. Therefore, you should include practical suggestions about what could be done differently and why this would be beneficial. Remember to focus on the needs of the children in your care and how your recommendations will help to improve their health and wellbeing.