Unit name: Health, Safety and Wellbeing in Care Settings
Learning outcome: 4. Be able to reduce the spread of infection
Assessment criteria: 4.1 Explain own roles and responsibilities as an employee and those of the employer in the prevention and control of infection
It is important to understand that the prevention and control of infection in the workplace is everyone’s responsibility.
However, there is a difference in the roles and responsibilities of employers and employees.
Generally, an employer’s primary responsibilities include:
- Providing policies and procedures
- Providing adequate training to employees
- Providing any necessary equipment for employees to carry out their role (including Personal Protective Equipment)
- Performing risk assessments
An employee’s primary responsibilities include:
- Keeping self and others safe
- Following the employer’s policies and procedures (including use of PPE)
- Attending training
- Reporting and recording potential hazards and risks